5.01.2011

An open letter to myself:

Dear self,

First of all, why are you blogging? You have a final paper to write, a final presentation to put together, a final exam to study for, a final portfolio to finish and put together, and a massive final project that's somehow on the epic scale of insanity.

Second of all, here's a pro tip: never shotgun-style down two VERY STRONG cups of coffee and then decide to blog. Aha. Ahahaha. (Sorry guys.)

But.

I would like to congratulate you on making it through this year thus far. Cause you've had a fair bit of shit dealt your way, and have given in to more than your fair share of pity parties, but you know what? You got through. And you're getting through. And you know what? You're pretty damn lucky.

You have amazing friends. You have an amazing family. You have an incredible support system. You go to a school you love, have a job you love, and will soon be starting a new nanny job with a tiny baby (LOVE). You have (most of) your sanity. You have a body that continues to let you get out of bed and celebrate each day despite what you've done/do to it.

You have a great apartment in an awesome neighborhood. You have every season of Gilmore Girls at your fingertips. You have the world's most bad-ass betta fish named Severus. And you have coffee. Sweet, sweet coffee.

So yeah. There have been some downs. But there have been so many ups. Remember that. Hold on to that. Because that's what gets you through.

So. Chin up, self. Plug through these last few days of final everythings, and remember to enjoy all the happy things in life. Because they're always there.

And...work on loving yourself just the way you are now.

xoxo,
yourself

P.S. I swear I'm not begging for comments, but I do want to know what some of the happy things (big or small) in your life are. Please share?

P.P.S. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who was affected by the storms in the south. My family in Alabama is okay, but so many people's aren't. I'm sending you all love.

6 comments:

Angie said...

I'm having my ups and downs, too, Nanny. But everything u wrote in that letter to yourself is right on. You have this little old nameless person here in MI cheering u on! <3

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of your anonymous birthday secrets, my happy thought is that I just found out I'm pregnant! (I'm married and we were trying!) Haven't even told my hubby yet but just read your blog and thought you'd enjoy some good news, even if it's from a stranger. :-)

The Nanny said...

Anon - congratulations!!! This made me smile so big :) All my best wishes to you and your family!!!

Minivan Mom said...

As you know, my marriage fell apart in such a manner that would leave many women bitter for years, if not the rest of their lives. Infidelity, lies, betrayal, manipulation, GAH.

I am so. damn. proud. of me for working at healing and seeing the good. It is work every single day to change thoughts, overcome emotions. But I'm doing it. And I'm thriving.

I am so happy to finally be with a man who adores me, who I have no doubt is faithful to me, who makes me feel beautiful and safe and loved. I feel like I lost everything last year, but sometimes you have to lose it all to find out what you never really had in the first place.

Love you, and proud of you.

Anonymous said...

your popster loves you absolutely and is large proud of you!

popster

Moi said...

I'm happy to see you seeing the positive around you. I am also happy to have a date to the midnight premiere of 7.2.

Love you.