5.27.2011

I'M ALIVE, I'M ALIVE

I swear! I am! I'm here! And I have no good excuse for why I haven't blogged in like 14 years except for the fact that I'm lazy!

BUT.

Right now I'm sitting on Cait and Alix's couch in NYC listening to this song while Cait is being all productive and folding laundry and I'm wasting time on Teh Intranets.

Life is good.

Two things have happened since I updated last:

1) I decided on a blog name for my baby! I, like, legitimately have been thinking about this for three weeks. Trying to figure out what fits him and his calm personality and gigantic blue eyes and sweet sweet cuddly self. And today, no joke, a name popped into my head, and I was simultaneously like "really?!" and also like "THAT'S IT" so I'm going with it once and for all. My boy's blog name will be Pius. Pi for short. I think it fits him, even though I have NO clue where that name came from.

He's six weeks old now, and starting to smile. And he's also really starting to look at us, and focus on our faces, and ohmygoodness I MELT when he just stares into my eyes. I could just eat him with a spoon.

2) I got another tattoo! I'd been wanting one for over a year (since I got my first one), I just hadn't know what I wanted. I really wanted to incorporate something with recovering from my eating disorder, and about a month ago, I started sketching out the design until I was happy with it.

Then, when I was in NYC a few weeks ago visiting Cait and Alix, we decided to go get our tattoos one night. So we went to this tattoo parlor where this guy named Ozzi was the artist available (and um, hey, awesome name dude) and I showed him my sketches and where I wanted it and he was like "aight, homedog" except he didn't really say that but I imagine that's what he was thinking.

And y'all. Let me just tell you. I wanted the tattoo on my hip bone, and when I lay down for Ozzi to start working he was like, "Okay. So. Because of the placement of this tattoo, you can't talk or laugh while I'm inking you. And you need to breathe in slow, deep breaths." And I was like "GREAT." But Cait and Alix channeled their inner doula selves and talked me through the pain and I focused on my breathing and y'all, I am going to RAWK at natural childbirth. Cause I'm SURE the pain is comparable. Right? RIGHT?

Anyway, here's what I ended up with:


(Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic!)

The outside lines of the design itself is the eating disorder recovery symbol, and I drew in the quasi yin yang to symbolize the balance of recovery and of life — the light and dark of each. Because that's what recovery is — it's an up-and-down battle. But I'm committed to it, and that's why I wanted this permanently on my body. I absolutely love it.

SO. Apologies for the novel-length blog post, but that's what's up in my life. Right now, I'm going to watch Friends on the couch while Cait continues to fold laundry. I'm such a good guest.

4 comments:

Nic said...

LOVE your new tat!

And yeah, you will be just fine at natural childbirth. I did it - painful is not a word I would use to describe it, the sewing up afterwards was way worse, and I bet even that wasn't as painful as what you just did :)

Heather said...

Love the new tattoo. And love Pi's blog name. Babies are so much fun. And yes, you can rock at natural childbirth. I did it twice and the second time was with twins. It can be done.

Amanda said...

Love the new tattoo! What a wonderful way to honor where you've been and where you're going!

I've been reading a bit of a psychology book and I thought of you. It's called Eating in the Light of the Moon. To me, it's a fantastic read. I hope you too, take a peek at it. And please don't take that the wrong way - it's meant only with well wishes towards an awesome future!

The Nanny said...

Amanda -- I have that book! I started it, loved it, and then loaned it to a friend before I could finish it. I can't wait til I get it back :)

Thanks!