7.30.2010

A weighty update!

(This is kind of, sort of, part deux to my other weight post.)

First, I want to thank you for your sweet comments. I *know* I'm not the only one out there who struggles. And it is so freaking hard no matter what type of eating you struggle with.

One thing I've been mediating on lately (brought on by the group therapy I've been going to) is the concept of black-and-white thinking. i.e., "I ate an entire bag of potato chips today. That basically means that today is ruined eating-wise."

I'm very, very, VERY guilty of thinking like that. If I trip up, or binge, I get so angry and upset with myself that my whole day is thrown off. And maybe the next day, too. And the next.

But what's important to remember is that life isn't black and white. Life is a gigantic grey area. And so is eating. If I ate an entire bag of potato chips today, yeah, that wasn't the best decision, but the day wasn't a complete failure because I did have a really healthy breakfast. That's a positive.

No day, or task, or meal is a complete failure. It's just impossible. Somehow, somewhere, is a positive thing that happened, no matter how small. And that moves you back into the grey area, and out of black and white.

When I beat myself up for overeating, I just have to remember the good things I did that day, as well. That I did have a few positives, no matter how small. And cling to those. And remind myself that tomorrow is a new day, a clean slate, and a time to start over.

I have up days and down days. I have days where I do feel like a complete and total failure with my eating, health, and body. But getting through this journey is a process, and I have to remind myself to take baby steps. Every positive day I have is a step closer to feeling comfortable and confident with my control of eating again.

Also:

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson


YES. This is exactly it, exactly what we all need to drain into our heads.

I'm thinking about all of you, out there, if you're struggling with food or eating in any capacity. I'm here if you need me, okay? We got this!

1 comment:

Lady Di said...

Wow! Love that quote - really applies to so MANY situations where punishing thoughts take over and drive unrealistic disappointment. Thanks for sharing...