7.07.2010

Every city needs a subway and that's why we invited you

So. This post has (I'm not even kidding) been rolling around in my brain SINCE THE BEGINNING OF MAY.

Oh hey, July, where'd you come from?

But: I've been thinking. I think that every city needs a subway. Like. Every single one.

One of the biggest shocks for me coming home to Texas (ALWAYS) is getting used to driving again. Because in DreamSchool city, I either take the subway, or walk. Everywhere.

It's always strange to drive again after 5-6 months. It's weird to be alone in my car after traveling with complete strangers constantly. It's weird to get used to the speed of driving again. And it's weeeiiiirrrddd to have to concentrate.

(Go with me on this one.)

Imagine this: you've just worked a long, hard (that's what she said) day. I'm talking an EPIC DAY OF EXHAUSTION. In DreamSchool city, you jump on the subway, turn on your iTunes, close your eyes, and zone out for however many stops you need to go. It's niiiiiiiiiice.

But here, and in most other cities, you end your EPIC DAY OF EXHAUSTION, climb in your car, and have to focus. concentrate. and be alert. the whole trip home. And I *know* I'm not the only one who's struggled to stay awake while driving. Can I get a what whaaaaat?

So that's why I'm calling for subways EVERYWHERE. They're quick, they're convenient, and most of all, YOU CAN SLEEP ON THEM.

(Provided the creeptastic guy next to you isn't trying to secretly steal your wallet. Or feel you up. Or both.)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I agree with you 100%! I live in Indianapolis and would LOVE to not have to drive EVERY WHERE I GO!!! I'd love to drive to the subway station and hop on and go. IT would take away a lot of road rage, that's for sure! :)

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

TOTALLY get it about the concentrating! Back when I did in fact WORK, my husband and I would drive in together and it was SO nice to zone out and not think for that 30 minutes. BONUS: my hubby is NOT creeptastic :)

Lady Di said...

OMG, yes! I live in Dallas but was originally from the West Coast, towns that had great public transportation (I didn't get a car or license until I was graduating form college), and then spent come time in NYC as well. I REALLY wish we had a subway - or at least more DART train lines!

Erin said...

I so wish I could use the subway and commuter rail to get to and from work daily!!! But alas, I actually need my car at work. Not to mention it would probably take me three times as long to actually get to work on a daily basis.

I do enjoy it for going in and out of the city though, parking is a nightmare!!!