4.09.2010

Tit for tat(too)

So here is the post in which my mother and father take one look at the topic and fall over backwards. Cause we're going to talk about TATTOOS today, kids!

(In the interest of full disclosure, I did briefly bring up the topic with my mother last week. Because 30* years old is too young to die of a heart attack.)

*Mom! Look! I didn't use your actual age! Because I know if I did you would have killed me in my sleep! It's totally feasible that you had me at age 9, right? Right!

SO TATTOOS!

I want to get one.

I've wanted one since I was, oh, 13 or so. But I've always wavered a bit. Because while they're ZOMG SO COOL (in moderation), they're also ZOMG SO PERMANENT. And can stretch with weight gain, which we all know I generally have a problem with! Red flag! Red flag!

But now at the ripe old age of 21, I've found myself tipping pretty far over to the GET ONE! side of the scale.

NOW.

1) It will be small. Like, really small. Like, see the size of your thumb? SMALLER THAN THAT.

2) It will be in an area that won't stretch if I gain 3,000 lbs. I'm thinking it'll be on my back, near the bottom of my shoulder blade...

3) ...in an area that will be covered up by clothes. Like completely covered up. Even by things like camis. I only want it to show if I *want* to show it.

So I've asked 14 million people and got several great recommendations for tattoo shops in the area. Clean, safe, reliable ones. And I'm trying to make an appointment for a consultation for this weekend. And I am nervous and excited and I haven't slept in three weeks and I have so much homework to do and wait how did this post derail?

ANYWAY. Do you have a tattoo? Where is it? Do you regret getting it? Tell me!

7 comments:

Erin O. said...

As a nurse, I'd say no. And not for health reasons. For the kind that we will talk about you at the nurses station when we see your tattoo and have to laugh. So, if you do get one, make sure it is one where we are going gaga over it!

mommymichael said...

if you're going to get a tattoo, don't give a shit about anything anybody else might say about it. it has GOT to be for you, and YOU are the one who has to like it.

you're the age where i would suggest my kids get one, no earlier. it was the age I got my first one.

I have four. and yes they're addicting. I have one that i drew, on my upper left arm - which is a girl wearing a mask.

wings on my back.

a beautiful "navy wife on the beach" kind of tattoo - but it's stormy and she's in a beautiful flowing dress with lots of ruffles!!

and an anchor on a background of spikes and hearts on my lower back. "tramp stamp" area. lol

i don't regret any of them. i picked out a picture and sat on it (mentally) for quite a while before deciding. making sure i really loved it. and i still do.
they all mean something to me.

on that note: don't get something in another language unless you can either A) read it B) know for certain what it means!

Don't just walk in and pick a piece of flash off the wall. like "i wanna tattoo... ummmmm that one." those are the kind you regret later. that and no telling how many other people have that same one - even if it's in different colors.

DO find a tattoo artist who does great portraits. those are the ones I personally consider great artists. i mean if they can draw a face on your arm and it look great, i'd think they can do most other things and make it look beautiful too.

hope this helps!

Minivan Mom said...

I have 2 - I have a dolphin on my hip that I got freshman year of college (most of us on the swim team had them) and then I got a flower on the inside of my left ankle my senior year of college. I don't regret either one, and would actually like to get another one, but money/time/indecision on what to get has stopped me.

Rich has a fairly large self-designed tattoo on his back shoulder of our astrological glyphs intertwined. It looks like a tribal design, but we both know it is Cancer/Pisces intertwined. He got it for our first anniversary.

You'd have to ask him if he regrets it now. :(

Kirsten said...

I have two. The first one is on my lower back off to the side. It's of Hobbes (of Calvin and Hobbes) I actually got it on my back because I thought if I ever regretted it, I wouldn't have to look at it every day. You may ask why Hobbes? Well he's the philosopher/thinker type. I identify with him always pondering the whys of life. My second is a shamrock on my upper inside left arm. I got that one as a nod to my husband who is (1) Irish and (2) he always told me I was his good luck charm. Cheesy, yes. But there is no identifying marks or lettering. I feel that if you get someone's name on your body permanently, you are asking for trouble.

mommymichael said...

you should see my husband. he planned out all his tattoos long ago and is slowly getting them. he's changed some of them slightly, but they all have meaning to him as well.

he always said he'd get his wife's name on his arm, then he married a "michael". lmao what did he do?? put my FACE on his arm. i loath it, but he loves it.
he's also put the kids initials. =)

Jacki said...

Lots of tattoos here, got my first at 21! I don't regret any and would have more if I didn't have a profession (i.e. wear a suit everyday) job.
My only suggestion would be to consider symmetry. Maybe that's my OCD speaking but I've always hated lopsidedness on people's tattoo placement, reminds me of pin cushions.

Monica H said...

I don't have any and as of now don't plan on it. Mostly because I can't picture myself at 80 years old with a wrinkled tattoo. ha ha!