1.10.2010

Ornaments

My mom started a tradition of giving my sister and me special ornaments every Christmas. This is a tradition I love so much that I'm going to do it with my own (FUTURE -- MOM CALM DOWN) babies.

I love birds. I think they are beautiful and peaceful. Except for our own real-life parakeet, who is almost crazier than I am. I am not kidding. My bird is in love with a rubber duck. And she thinks that little black and white dice are her eggs. And she frequently asks us, in Spanish, where her pants are.

IN SPANISH.

I can't make this stuff up, people.

ANYWAY.

This summer, I came across a little dove ornament in a little shop in Michigan. I loved it, but didn't want to spend the money on it.

Guess what I opened up on Christmas morning?


My mom's mom, Mary Dove, died before I was born. I love that I can look at this little dove ornament and think of the grandmother I never knew.

5 comments:

mommymichael said...

my mom does that with us too!! my christmas tree is about 90% ornaments that i received growing up. =) it's so special. and she writes the year on the bottom of them.

we're doing it with the kiddos too.

The Nanny said...

I'm trying to get dates on all of mine too but some of the earlier ornaments don't have the dates on them. Oh well :(

Kait said...

Hahaha.

I can't say the baby word around my mother. She starts salivating and asks me when I'll date Vince again so we can have beautiful Italian children. Ahem.

Love the dove dear. MI FTW. Even if it's f'in cold here.

Monica H said...

What a sweet ornament. Whenever I see owls I think of you :-)

Your bird is too funny!

The Nanny said...

Monica -- I *love* owls :) whenever I'm home I miss my pretty owl comforter that I have at school!