12.12.2009

Insanity!

Things are getting crazy 'round these here parts at Ye Olde DreameSchoole. It's the end of the semester, which means exams/final projects/wrapping everything up, plus in admissions we just sent out our early decision letters.

The latter part of that is, well, um, stressful.

Basically, that means we get 14 million calls a day wondering WHEN THE HECK ADMISSIONS DECISIONS ARE GOING TO BE DELIVERED TO THE APPLICANT'S DOORSTEP HELLO PANIC WE NEED OUR DECISION!!!

(Parent phone calls are worse than kid phone calls. I'm serious. Parents get ALL up in our grillz about their kids' decisions.)

(Attn. parents: no, we can't give out your child's decision via phone call. No, we can't. We can't. No. No we can't. We really can't. Srsly. C-A-N'T. No. No we can't. For real. For serious. Fo' shizzle. Fo' drizzle. NO.)

It also means that I can see peoples' decisions in their folders and in our system -- so when I pull their names up when they call in, I can see whether they've been accepted, rejected, or wait-listed. This adds another level of difficulty to phone calls as I try not to sound a) sad, b) still hopeful, or c) ZOMG SO EXCITED CAUSE YOU GOT IN CONGRATULATIONS!!!

And next week, once people start getting their decision letters, it means phone calls next week will invariably be one of these three:

Angry parent: "WHY THE HECK DID MY CHILD NOT GET INTO YOUR SCHOOL?!?!?"

or

Moody child: "What does wait-listed mean? Do I even still have a chance of getting in?"

or

Really! Super! Excited! Parent! Or! Child! Or! Both!: "I GOT IN I GOT IN I GOT IN I GOT IN I GOT IN!!! WHAT DO I DO NOW?!?!?"

It's always interesting to go from a very happy phone call to a very sad phone call. Or vice versa. It tends to mess with your emotions. A lot.

Regardless, I love, love, LOVE working in admissions. Especially on days like today when I gave a tour to a lovely family from Jamaica who, whenever we would walk to the next stop on tour, would exclaim, "This is so NICE! What an amazing school! You are the BEST TOUR GUIDE EVER!!!"

Why thank you. It is my job, after all.

1 comment:

Monica H said...

Ohh that would stress me out too!