10.04.2009

Capitalism: A Love Story

A while ago I was able to see an advance screening of Michael Moore's new film Capitalism: A Love Story. NOW WAIT: all you anti-Michael Moore people, DON'T STOP READING. Hear (read?) what I have to say.

The movie, for a Michael Moore film, was pretty gosh darn unbiased. (No politician or executive was safe from Moore's investigation. I now think a lot less of Chris Dodd.)

It was also really, really good. I mean, it wasn't a cinematographic masterpiece, but, as Moore's films tend to do, it does make you think. It's especially relevant right now with the whole economy/recession heyday. And the best part about it is that it makes you want to get up and just do something to help.

Moore was actually there during the screening, and after it was done he spoke for a while and then took questions.

He didn't come across as an extremist liberal to me. He came across as a regular guy who's just passionate about politics and helping people. He was very kind, very open-minded, very respectful. I left the theater that night liking him even more than I already did. He seemed like the kind of guy you could shoot the breeze with. And I'm sure he plays a mean game of Apples to Apples.

Moore singled out Democrats as helping to screw over the health care bill as much as Republicans ("[The bill is] not dead. I'm telling you, I am going to work at defeating any Democrat that gets in the way of universal health care. I will go to their districts, I will raise money, I will help someone run against them in the primaries. I will be relentless, and I want everyone to join me!").

His passion was really, really contagious. He reiterated the film's purpose again and again: it's a call to action. "I'm hoping it triggers something out there," he said. "We're in the 21st century - we're smart enough to figure out a new economic order that we should be living in. I think we've got to demand this. We've got to get active."

You all should see this movie. If for nothing else than to get motivated to get involved. It sounds cheesy and cliche, but honestly? This film really makes you feel like you can make a difference. And that's a darn good feeling.

4 comments:

Monica H said...

I like Michael Moore because he's not afraid of what people think of him. He's willing to tell a story the way he views it and he stands up for what he believes it. He's also not afraid to call someone out.

I will go see this. Thanks for the review.

The Nanny said...

Monica, I agree. And he also brings humor to the table: I laughed out loud several times during the film.

Let me know what you think!

Stephany said...

OK...so a small confession from a conservative:

I love Michael Moore.

Honestly, I enjoy his movies so much! He's truthful and honest. He's funny. And he's not afraid of what other people think of him. He tells it like it is and is not afraid of the backlash.

And I really, really, really want to see this movie.

The Nanny said...

Steph--awesome!!! LOVE this comment.

Come up and visit me and I'll treat you to the movie :)