9.12.2009

TODAY. IS THE DAY.

While you're reading this, I'm most likely on an airplane. Or pathetically dragging my two heavy suitcases, laptop bag, and purse on the subway. Or unpacking box after box. Or something.

Point is, by the time you read this, I'll be at DreamSchool (or at least en route).

I KNOW.

I can't believe it, either.

I really am excited about this year. I still can't believe how much easier college is than high school was. Good lord in heaven, it's SO much easier than high school.

In high school I was so sleep deprived that I'm amazed I was able to function, let alone graduate having passed all of my classes. Really: a high schooler's life is rough. For example, I was up between 5:30-6 a.m., left the house by 7 a.m., had school (7 different classes--that's a lot to think about/digest/learn/work on in one day, especially in 45-minute bursts) until 3:30ish, then either had softball practice or babysitting (or on some days, softball practice and THEN babysitting) and then finally got home.

During the day I was so tired I could hardly focus. I'd run to my car to power-nap for 20 minutes during lunch or my study hall. I chugged caffeine every morning. Every day (and I'm ashamed to admit this), I'd fall asleep in my econ class. It was about 2:30 in the afternoon, and I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I'd power-nap in class for about 5 minutes and that'd keep me up for the rest of the school day.

After such an intensely busy/focused day, the last thing you want to/can do is homework. Honestly, it took me a solid hour or more of decompressing by reading, wasting time online, talking to people, etc., to calm my brain down. Only then could I start the hours of homework that lay ahead of me.

So I'm very glad I'm not a high schooler anymore. And that a few days a week, I can sleep in past 7 a.m. (probably for the last time in my life).

I'm so ridiculously lucky. Can't wait to be back!!!

5 comments:

Jes said...

Hope you make it back safely. Where is this dream school?

Stephany said...

Yay! I'm happy for you!

Although, for me, college has been MUCH harder than high school. Maybe it has a lot to do with the fact that I went to a charter HS where I only took college classes for my last 2 years (which meant getting to school at 8am and finishing by 2pm on my latest day). And I didn't have a job then. So it was a lot easier.

Now? I have to be at work by 6:45am and then I'm busy until 9pm on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursdays I'm done at 3:30pm but I'm just so tired from the week by those days that I get nothing done. So my weekends are jampacked with...HOMEWORK! Fun...

Good luck!

Kait said...

R and I discuss CONSTANTLY how much public high school sets kids up to fail.

You have to be up at like you said, 530a or 6a. I know I felt pressured to look nice, etc. which takes time. I almost never ate or drank caffeine, and by lunchtime I was nearly ready to faint and exhausted. You have SIX CLASSES (that would be what, 18-20 credits now?) that almost all involve homework. You're expected to 'be involved' to get into college, so that adds at LEAST 2 hours every few days after school per activity (and I did about 5 activities a year and wound up at community college, grrr). PLUS working, which I def. had to do. Even managing to get to bed by 10p (which was EARLYYYYY for me) means you're getting 6.5 hrs/sleep per night and experts rec. 10 minimum for that age group.

It SUCKS. End rant.

Also, I hope you're having a safe trip and you are well :)

The Nanny said...

Jes--sorry, a girl's gotta maintain her anonymity somehow :) I'll just say it's in the northeast.

The Nanny said...

Stephany--yeah, your schedule sounds insane! So sorry about that...

Kait--I think what makes the biggest difference in HS and college is timing. In college, chances are you aren't going to have 8 a.m. classes every day, so you can sleep in a little bit at least on some days. Also, you aren't going boom-boom-boom from class to class every day either. You have a lot of work, but you have a significant portion of time to do said work.

It's a much better situation!