9.27.2009

#gameaddict

So Friday morning, about 7:15 a.m., I stumbled out of bed and into the bathroom to take a shower. I turned on the water, and picked up my phone to play Bejeweled while I waited for the water to heat up.

You guys know what Bejeweled is, right? It's the game that looks like this:



Now, the fact that I played Bejeweled while waiting for the shower water to heat up is problematic for two reasons: 1) given my propensity for dropping my phones in liquid, this had BAD IDEA written written all over it, and 2) I'm a bit of a game addict, and I can't just stop at one game. I have.to.keep.beating.my.score.

But I started playing one game, and it was going really well.

And it kept going.

And going.

Normally, I "die" (or run out of moves) within about a minute. But this game? On this morning, when I had to be at work by 9? That game went ON AND ON AND ON.

It got to the point where I was standing there 10 minutes later still playing the same game (don't worry, I'd turned off the water so it wasn't being wasted). But I could.not.make.myself.turn.the.damn.game.off.

Finally, after about 20 minutes of playing (yeah, I have a problem. I recognize that) I realized that I should probably get in the shower. So I paused the game, hoping my phone wouldn't end the game itself while I was showering (because my phone has a mind of its own that is out to destroy me when I'm doing really well at Bejeweled).

Swear to goodness: I think that was the fastest shower I've ever had. I flew in and out to get back to Bejeweled. I'm sure if I could have seen myself, sopping wet in a towel on my bed playing Bejeweled early in the morning, I would have thrown stale Cheetos at my pathetic self. But at that moment I was so engrossed in Bejeweled that I thought of nothing else.

For thirty more minutes.

My average Bejeweled score is about 3,000.

That morning, I passed 10,000.

I passed 20,000.

I passed 30,000.

I was a flying Bejeweled beast! I was a game-playing machine! Surely the makers of Bejeweled would know of this mind-blowing scorage and swoop down and award me prizes fit for the Queen of Bejeweled!

But then, I ran out of moves.

And my game flashed a sad little "game over" sign at me.

And I sat there, pretty much dry at that point but with my hair still dripping wet, fingers about worn to the bone, exhausted.

And then I realized that I had approximately three-and-a-half minutes to get dressed, dry my hair, put on makeup, oh, and GET TO WORK.

But not before I took a picture of my valiant efforts first:

8 comments:

Bethany said...

Great job! I used to have Bejeweled on my phone and could get addicted too ;) It's a fun game.

Kait said...

Erm, SO GLAD I don't have this on my phone :)

Erin O. said...

I heart you! And congrats.

Furrow said...

I woke up this morning feeling -- for a variety of reasons -- sorry for myself. Catching up on your blog and remember the joys of youth and newness made me happy. Thanks :)

That made me sound really old, didn't it?

The Nanny said...

Furrow--it did NOT make you sound old. In fact, your comment totally made my day. Thank you!

Heather said...

I have so been there! And on your last post. I got addicted to coffee at age 16 too. 22 years later, I still am, but I learned that Listerine whitening pre-rinse can mask a lot of evils. I actually had a dental hygenist recently tell me my teeth were really white. I did have them bleached several years ago, but I think it's the whitening rinse I started using a few months ago.

Monica H said...

Ha ha! This makes me laugh. My mom is addicted to this game too and when I go over to her house I get sucked in!

Stephany said...

I have to admit, I've never gotten into the game Bejeweled. I've tried! Especially when I go on FB and see so many people using the app. But I don't get it, I guess.

But I've played BrickBreaker on my mom's BlackBerry too many times. Her phone's a piece of crap...but I want it just for that game. It's addictive, I tell you! My next phone WILL be a BB just for that game. :)