8.13.2009

A fairy bit of pressure

I don't think I've blogged about one of the most stressful experiences of my life to date.

The time I had to be the Tooth Fairy.

On the morning of the first day of overnighting for Sam, Ben, and Coco back in June, Sam lost one of her teeth. This was before I got to her house, and when I got there, I was greeted at the door with a small plastic bag in my face and a wild, crazy six-year-old chanting something about "ILOSTATOOTH" and "MONEY."

I'm just kidding. It went, "MONEY" and then "ILOSTATOOTH."

Anyway, I was briefed on Standard Tooth Fairy Procedure for their household (four quarters under the pillow), and we went about our merry way. That night, around 11 p.m. (the kids were SOLIDLY asleep), I knew I needed to go pick up the tooth and leave the quarters before I collapsed in bed because hitakingcareofkidsalldayistiresome.

But y'all: I was nervous. What if Sam woke up and caught me? What if I ruined the whole tooth fairy experience for her?? She and Ben were sleeping in the same bed, what if they BOTH woke up and I ruined the whole tooth fairy experience for BOTH of them??? What if they woke up Coco and told HER that the tooth fairy was fake???? Poor thing would never get to experience the magic of the tooth fairy!

I'm telling you: I was more nervous that night than I was waiting for my DreamSchool admission decision.

But I worked up the nerve, got the four quarters, and snuck into their bedroom. Now, they were sleeping in Ben's bed, which is up against the wall. Ben was sleeping on the outside, Sam was sleeping on the side closest to the wall. So, with my short-short-short arms, I had to leeeeean over Ben (ohpleasegoddon'tlethimwakeup), reach under Sam's pillow, and root around for the tooth.

Let me not fail to mention that it took me approximately 20 minutes from the walking-in-to-the-room point to the actually rooting-around-for-tooth point. I wanted to make sure they were NOT waking up.

I found the tooth, and pulled it out. Sam turned over. I had a heart attack. Sam remained asleep. I tried to start breathing again.

Next up I had to slip the quarters under her pillow. At this point, I realized that I forgot to ask if the quarters were supposed to be loose under her pillow, or in the bag with the tooth, or in the bag without the tooth, OR WHAT. So after a temporary freak-out and debate in my mind, I decided to leave the four quarters loose under her pillow.

I KNOW. I totally wasn't thinking. Thank GOD they all stayed together because can you imagine the tragic scene in the morning if she could only find three quarters?!?

But: all went well, and I made it out of the room without scarring the kids for life, and come morning Sam came bounding into my room at the crack of 4 a.m. (well, 6:30. But it felt like 4) happily sporting her four quarters. And I exhaled for about the first time since finding out I'd have to play tooth fairy.

12 comments:

Jes said...

I think I would be a nervous wreck too, but looks like you did a great job!

Erin O. said...

I agree with you. I think I'd freak out as well, but I know when I have kids and the tooth fairy is needed, I'll just fly you in...job well done!

Anonymous said...

you are too precious!

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY agree with Anonymous!

Sugar Photography said...

LMAO

for the record, I STILL get nervous when playing TF for Sam. it's a nerve-racking job, fo sho

this made me giggle, because I can so totally see it playing out.

also for the record, I dreaded this happening on your watch. for just this reason.

you did great!

we luff you, silly Nanny. Even if you spilled the beans we'd STILL luff you.

Monica H said...

ha!ha! I've never had to play the tooth fairy so I've never experienced your stress before (tee hee) but the day I do, I'll be thinking of you.

WWND? What would Nanny do?

:-)

nannysarah said...

Lol Love the above comment (WWND!)

Hello there! I am a fellow Nanny. I got your link from lemondrop.com.

I love love love this post and could not help but giggle through the entire thing.

I know EXACTLY what you went through. Of course it wasn't for any charges, because I have only Nannies Babies and Toddlers. BUT, I am an Auntie to a 5 and 8 year old. So I play tooth fairy a lot :). It's always nerve racking. Don't wanna ruin the whole thing!

meinsideout said...

It sounds like you did a great job!

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you just relax and let the real tooth fairy do the job? They never wake the kiddos up, and they leave the best notes. That's what we did when you were growing up. Besides, that's one union you don't want to have mad at you.

Popsicle

Stephany said...

This was so funny! Haha. I could totally see this playing out. :)

Lisa L said...

Its a much easier system in Australia...the child puts the tooth in a glass of water next to the bed...you go in in the middle of the night, take the tooth out of the water and replace it with coin(s)...easy peasy :)

The Nanny said...

Lisa, that's so cool!!!