7.04.2009

Non-epic fail?

So on July 3 I headed over to the Minivan Mom household to hang with her kids while she and her hubby headed out to dinner.

You may remember these kids as the ones I epically failed at while babysitting. I'm happy to report that during this babysitting sesh, there were NO broken teeth or any other injuries! WOOT!

Anyway, the kids and I had a great time. We swam, ate (some) pizza (the kids didn't really care for it, so Sam and Lucy had a lot of yogurt instead), had brownies, watched TV (they introduced me to Phineas & Ferb), played the world's longest game of Spiderman Sorry!, read books, and generally had a great time.

Oh, except for the fact that Lucy thought I was the meanest babysitter in the world after I made her spit out her gum before bed. I know, the nerve of me, right??? (Though I think she liked me the rest of the time. I did paint her nails sparkle-clear, after all.)

But the best part of the evening? While Sam was reading to Lucy and me, Bailey had left the room to do something I wasn't privy to. (This worried me slightly, but he's a wicked smaht 9-year-old, so I trusted him.) When he came back, he presented me with this:


"I didn't know if you knew this," he said, "but I'm an author. This is an original copy of my work."

Y'all.

He autographed it for me.

I'm pretty sure I swooned audibly.

Not to be outdone, Sam went off to do his own thang. When he came back, he presented me with this:


It's a picture of me standing on the side of the pool (which is the big white space), watching him swim.

Cue another loud swoon. Are these boys not just yummy?!?

Lucy didn't give me anything, but I'm pretty sure that's because I had just made her spit out her gum. Though earlier in the evening she had told me I looked like I was 12, which I'm pretty sure is a compliment. I mean, 12-year-olds don't have wrinkles or grey hair, so it's a good thing, right?

3 comments:

Monica H said...

an original copy? I love it!

Minivan Mom said...

How am I just now seeing this post? LOVE IT. The kids adored you (have been asking me when you're coming back) and yes, it is quite an honor to be given a signed copy of his book (usually he sells them. Yes, I'm serious).

The Nanny said...

He sells them? SMART BOY. And I'm even MORE honored.

When can I come back?