7.21.2009

More than just skin deep

So the other day I came across something rather disturbing.

It was this web site. (Don't worry, it's totally safe for work, unless you count falling off your chair in shock and alarm unsafe.)

So yeah: before I could stop myself, I entered in every single one of my shampoos, mascaras, lip glosses...and came to the realization that I should already have cancer and will never be able to procreate. Let's not even get started on the "occupational hazards" (?!?) involved in my daily beauty routine (STOP LAUGHING. I DO TOO HAVE A DAILY BEAUTY ROUTINE).

Needless to say I got a bit freaked out. Everything I own is bad for me! Everything! I try to be all organic and eco-friendly and healthy in all other ways of my life, but I am totally chemical-crazy in this regard.

After regaining consciousness, I thought about taking an immediate shower to wash off all my makeup and sunscreen and bug spray and stuff, but, um, the shampoo I have is equally as bad. And the soap. And the body wash. Which did lead me to consider not bathing until I had entirely new, safe stuff, but hi. I'm vain and I don't like to smell.

Instead of chunking everything cosmetic I own, I'm going to replace what I have as it runs out. The only problem? Safe cosmetics ain't cheap, y'all. Combine that with the astronomically large amount of money I've spent to go see Harry Potter: Half Blood Prince and I'll be running into debt before I even get back to college. (Whatever. It's so worth it. That movie is amazing.)

So if y'all know of any safe, relatively cheap, natural, organic cosmetics, point me that way. And in the mean time, feel free to throw money at me. But don't search your own cosmetics. Unless you're ready to keel over. I'd put a lot of pillows around you just in case.

9 comments:

Shavahn said...

Did you actually click on the product to see what ingredients it had which were bad? I got a 5 on my pantene shampoo/conditioner, which I don't think is too bad. When I opened it up, there were just a few minor ingredients which were bad... not too scary (I think)

BTW, I make soap. If you want me to send you some bars, let me know. I'd be happy to do so for you because I've been lurking around here for so long.

The Nanny said...

Yeah, I opened it up and looked...my lip gloss (neutrogena) was especially scary.

But oh my gosh! Yes! I would love some soap!!! theonlinenanny@gmail.com

Thank you!

The Hoodies said...

I use Aubrey Organics Shampoo/Conditioner, Crystal Deodorant, Tom's of Maine SLS free toothpaste, Indigo Wild Soap, and my kids use California Baby to wash body and hair.

I also use Clean Well hand sanitizer along with a new kind I just picked up that is made from essential oils. I use both of these on the kids too.

Right now we all use California Baby Sunscreen. It is crazy expesive, but as I figure it I rather spend the money on using something safe on all of us now then years later have to combat medical bills.

We use lots of natural cleaners too: baking soda, vinegar, and I do get some commercially prepared stuff, but really try to read the ingredient list.

There are so many chemicals in crap that it is scary; parabens, propylene glycol, and the list goes on...

I am working on switching over my makeup, but it is so pricey that it freaks me out to get something and have it be horrid. I may try to get something at Whole Foods first because I am pretty sure the policy is still in place that if you don't like it or whatnot you can return it. If that is the case I figure I can try something relatively risk free. I am looking at the Aubrey Organics makeup and trying to research it.

I use EWG (the people who organize Cosmetic Safety Database) all the time. It is so helpful to see what is going on with legislation and of course I check any products that come in our house as well. I try and go with the guide that I want a rating of 2 and under. Anything above freaks me out.

Good luck on your quest and yes, all this natural stuff takes a bite out of the bank account for sure. It is a delicate balancing act for sure.

Ok, novel over! I get a little passionate about this subject :)

The Nanny said...

Great tip about Whole Foods! I'll check that out! Thank you!

The Hoodies said...

Any time! I research this stuff constantly. We have even switched wipes for the girl. I am not brave enough to make my own yet!

I love the Crystal deodorant. I use the roll on kind so I am not having to wet a big blob of rock/salt everyday. It works very well in our lovely TX heat and I smell fresh all day. At least I hope I do!

Emily said...

Thank you so much for your comment and support. How awesome that you are becoming a doula - that rocks!

Kaitlyn said...

*sticks head in the sand*

I DON'T WANNA KNOW.

I spend very, very hefty amounts on my level-8 skin makeup, and I'm not throwing it out. I'm not switching, I love it.

Whimper. How could you do this to me?

:)

Monica H said...

I clicked Burt's Bees lip balm because that's all I was brave enough to look at...it says peppermint oil is linked to cancer. wth?

Erin O. said...

Thanks for the info!!!