7.01.2009

I'm domesticated!

Y'ALL.

I COOKED SOMETHING!!!!!!!

Or rather, I baked something. But still. This is huge. Because I CANNOT COOK TO SAVE MY LIFE.

My sister and I love reading cooking blogs (she got me hooked). One of my favorites is Monica H.'s cooking blog, Lick the Bowl Good. So many things on there just make me DROOL all over my pretty white keyboard!

A few days ago, she posted a recipe for Strawberry and Blueberry Cobbler Cake. When I saw that, my jaw dropped, and I *knew* I was going to make that.

So I did.

My first cake!

(Er, cobbler cake. But close enough!)

Now, three things happened in the cooking process to make me seriously doubt my poor cobbler cake would turn out well. And they are:
1) When getting the egg out of the carton, it broke all over the place. Bad omen?
2) When dumping (gently) the flour/baking powder/salt mixture into the blender, half of it ended up on the counter. So I had to scrape it off the counter and into the bowl. But I lost some flour/baking powders/salt mixture that way...so I was a tad worried.
3) I forgot to sprinkle sugar over the top before putting it in the oven. I was VERY worried that the cobbler cake wouldn't taste sweet, and be bitter instead from the fruit.

BUT!

It turned out so delicious!!! I cannot tell you how we oohed and aahed over this cake. And ommed and nommed. Seriously: GO MAKE THIS CAKE. NOW.

*I used less fruit than she did--about 8 halved strawberries, and 1/2 cup of blueberries. I did push the blueberries down into the batter and added more on top.
*Mine took less time to bake than hers. 10 mins on 350 degrees, and 45 mins (as opposed to an hour) on 325.

SOOOOOO good!


My pretty little cobbler cake!

5 comments:

Moi said...

That looks amazing! I think I will try that as a welcome home family treat tomorrow.

Congrats (I think) on your domestication!

Anonymous said...

that looks SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO good

pleeeeeease send me some

love,
sis

Minivan Mom said...

I'm thinking I'll try that Saturday for the July 4th BBQ. :)

Monica H said...

It's so pretty! great job Nanny!

Wasn't it so good? I loved this cake too!

Your Dad is one lucky man to have such a sweet daughter and a cake!

I'm so proud of you :-)

Stephany said...

That cobbler cake looks sooooooo good! And I don't even like cobbler cake! Weird.

I'm a hit-or-miss with baking. It's weird. I can bake something and it'll turn out realllllly good. Or I'll back something and it'll turn out realllllly bad.