3.12.2009

The Left Boob Chronicles, Part I

Note: I've kept something from y'all for a few months now. I'm not quite sure why, but I've finally decided to share this. Comments are off until the last entry. And just an FYI--some of this gets graphic. *Gasp* I'll be talking about my BOOBS!

I thought it was "hump day," not "lump day"

In early December, both of my breasts became very sore. This was nowhere near ovulation time for me (and I'd never had sore breasts with ovulation) or my period, so it was pretty random. But I didn't think much of it.

After they were both painfully sore (my left one more than my right one) with no discernible reason for over a week, something in my tiny, crazy mind told me to do a breast self-exam (BSE) one night. I'd done them before without really knowing how to do them, but on this one (I think it was the second week in December), I was more thorough.

On my left breast, on the bottom, I came across what felt like a small lump. I didn't feel it in my right breast, or anywhere else on my left breast. I'd estimate it was about lima bean-sized. I wasn't too worried about it, but decided to call my gynecologist the next morning, just to see what she'd say.

I was a week away from going home for Christmas, and though I have a family history of breast cancer (my maternal grandmother had it before she was 50, which is apparently a red flag), my gyno told me to wait until I was home, and then come in right away. I scheduled an appointment for Dec. 22. In the meantime, Auntie Flo had arrived, a full week early, randomly.

I continued to do BSEs every few nights. I wasn't worried about the lump, but I *was* worried that I was just feeling tissue or something and making a big deal out of nothing. I was terrified (unnecessarily) that when I finally made it to the doctor, she wouldn't find anything and I'd look like a fool.

But she did find something. (I *had* to leave y'all with a suspenseful ending!)

Part II to be continued...