2.04.2009

Murphy's Law

So, um, the past 48 hoursish have been rather stressful. Allow me to unleash what I'm probably WAY over dramaticizing in my head, but whatever.

(OH. But before I begin. My lovely mother brought to attention my rather glaring typo two posts ago--yes, I know 'dormitory' is not spelled with an 'a'. I was just temporarily not thinking. Which probably isn't the best way to blog. BUT ANYWAY. My apologies.)

SO.

I had a great day Monday. Classes were good, homework was a moderate load but nothing unmanageable. I finished it by 11 and decided to get ready and go to bed EARLY! As I was getting my jammies, one of my roommates asked what the date was.

"Feb. 1!" I said.
"No, it's Feb. 2," my other roommate said.

Um, she was right. It was the 2nd. Which meant my R.A. applications were due THAT DAY AT 4 P.M. NO EXCEPTIONS OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD SHIT.

I was already 7 hours past deadline. And they had said multiple times, NO EXCEPTIONS.

SHIT.

I e-mailed the director and explained the situation. I was going to meet with him the next day to talk about who I could use as references, but obviously that meeting wouldn't be necessary if he wouldn't take my application. Needless to say, it was 11 p.m. so I didn't hear back from him that night. Instead, I got my booty into gear and threw together my entire application in 2 hours and went to BED.

The next morning, I had an 8 a.m. class, but the R.A. office opened at 8:45 and I wanted to have the application there the minute it opened. So at 8:40 I left class, FLEW to the R.A. office, talked to one of the women there who told me she didn't know if he'd still take it but to bring it back for my appointment later, and FLEW back to class.

The next few hours I was so nervous I could barely function. I *needed* him to at least look at my application cause well, free room and board is NICE. And I really do want to be an R.A. even without the money, cause I'm all nannylike and such. Plus I felt like a big fat dumb butt (chickenbutt) for screwing up the dates.

After the class before the meeting, I took out my phone to take a picture of the snow. Cause it was snowing!!! Unfortch...I promptly (and accidentally) dropped my phone. It broke in to four pieces. And I broke into tears.

But it was time for the meeting. I met with him and he was really nice. He asked me to explain the situation, and I did, and added that this is TOTALLY unlike me--which it is. He thought about it, asked me some questions, and finally decided he would accept my late application!!!!!! I was thrilled. We had a great conversation about that. He went to college in Texas, so we had a nice bonding moment over that :-)

As for my phone? Well, I've managed to sort-of get it back together. It works, but it's *very* fragile. Today I went to RadioShack, but they couldn't help me and directed me to the AT&T store. The AT&T people (pardon me) were buttheads, and couldn't help me either, but said I could call the warranty line and they'd help me. So I did, and spent 20 minutes on the phone with a woman who I could understand maybe 3 words out of 20. Basically, at the end of that 20 minute convo, she said I had to go BACK to the AT&T store because THEY were the ones who were supposed to help me. At that point, though, I had to get home, so I'll have to go back on Friday late afternoon since it's my only block of free time. Unfortch, the AT&T store is a good 2 mile walk away (I'm NOT paying $4 to take the subway 4 miles), so that takes a while to get there too.

But it's good exercise!!!

4 comments:

Monica H said...

Glad you realized what day it was and he accepted your application. It would have been a bummer if he didn't.

Hope you get a new phone soon!

Nic said...

I'm so glad you managed to get the application in! That is SO something I would do ;-)

Kaitlyn said...

Oh, so glad you managed to get it taken. I hate situations like that-- they are so, so stressful.

Also, your posts sometimes make me happier I live at home. At least in Michigan I would HATE to walk 2 minutes, much less 2 miles (one way!).

Also, I'm sorry for the lack of comments lately. I swore I subscribed to you in my Reader, but I just checked over and there's new posts! Ooops :)

The Nanny said...

Kaitlyn--for some reason, my blog hasn't been showing up in certain Bloglines too. I have no clue why!!! And as for the walk, I really don't mind it, because my legs are looking great from all the exercise! The only thing that gets to me is the cold--I just have to bundle up like a marshmallow :) Tonight when we were walking, weather.com said it felt like 1 degree outside! BRR!