1.09.2009

Questions part 2

From Saint Richard...

1) How do you compare DreamSchool City to Texas (what's better, what's worse)? I absolutely love it up north. LOVE it. It's very, very different than Texas, though. One obvious difference is the weather--I'm really enjoying the cold, but I've been grateful for all the warm days I've had while home for break. Really, though, the best part about the cold is getting to wear scarfs and gloves! I *love* them. Another huge difference is the people. While I am loving all the liberals up there, people just aren't as warm and friendly in general. I do miss some of the old-fashioned chivalry of the south--having doors opened for me, seats given up, etc. And it's also bizarre because there's so much MORE human interaction up there because we either walk or take the subway everywhere. I'm always around strangers whereas in Texas, I was always boxed up in my car. That was definitely something I had to get used to. I don't mind it at all!

2) Do you see yourself coming back to Texas when you've completed your education? This one is tough. Probably not right away, but that depends on when and where I can get a job, as well as a few other factors. I'd like to live elsewhere, too, around the country. And I'd love to live abroad for six months or a year. Eventually when I settle down and start a family, I want to be close to my parents. I only get to see my grandparents and extended family about once a year, which I don't like, so I'd definitely want my kids to be closer to their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. But like I said, it all depends.


From Furrow...

Of what religious/spiritual persuasion are you, if you have one at all? I suppose I'm technically a Christian. I was raised (literally) in the Methodist church as my parents were church musicians and my sister and I were AT church most days of the week while they worked and practiced. Church has always been a "comfort" thing for me--I can walk into any church and feel happy, just because it reminds me of a happy childhood. I went through an atheist phase in high school, but I do believe in a god or higher power (just not necessarily the Christian idea of God) because the thought of there not being anything else *out* there really freaks me out. Ha. That may not be the best reason to believe in god, but hey, it works for me :-)

Who are your favorite authors? Oh, this is so hard! I LOVE books and reading. I really like Audrey Niffenegger, E. Annie Proulx, Dodie Smith, Silas House, Kent Haruf...the list goes on. I have so many books that I just love to reread over and over.

And on a related note, what are you reading for fun right now? I'm reading through the Anne of Green Gables series and loving it!

One more: have you picked a major yet? What is it? Yes, I have picked a major. I actually had to declare my major when I applied to DreamSchool. I'm not going to say specifically what it is, but it is in the communications field--and has to do with writing :-) While that's not necessarily what I want to do full-time after I graduate, I do want to do it at least part-time. Is that cryptic enough? After I graduate I'm really looking at getting my teaching license to teach elementary school, or becoming a labor/delivery doula. I know, I know, I should really make up my mind, eh?

Okay, that's it! Thanks for all the questions, everyone!