1.03.2009

A late night post

As much as I've been trying to avoid thinking about it, money woes have caught up with me. BIG TIME. See, this whole college thing? Is rather expensive. I know, you're shocked.

The crushing realization is that if I continue to go to DreamSchool (which I really, really want to do), I'll have to end up borrowing around $80,000. Which is really, really daunting. Especially if you break that down to it being about $600 a month for thirty years. THIRTY. YEARS.

I have a few options to consider to help lower the costs. One is to be an R.A., which would save me approximately $10,000 a year. Which would help A LOT. One problem, though, with being an R.A., is that at DreamSchool you have to live in your own room. Alone. And unfortch, I *hate* sleeping in a room alone. It just makes me feel lonely and depressed, and I get a LOT of anxiety. But for $10,000? I may just have to be lonely/depressed for a while.

The other option is to apply for the Honors track. My grades are good enough for it, but I could only get in for next year if one of the freshmen drops out. Which is highly unlikely. The other thing is that it's a t-o-n TON of work. I have a few friends who are in the program and they very rarely see the light of day. The Honors track is HALF tuition, though.

So it's a sticky situation--pay the normal amount for an amazing, fun college experience (which is what it's been so far), or pay half as much and be fairly miserable? I really don't know. I think I may apply for the Honors track, just to see if I'd get in. Then I could make a decision. And I may apply to be an R.A. too, even though I don't know if I'd get the position.

BLAH. MONEY. It doesn't help that I lost a fairly significant chunk of change in the stock market, either. But enough with this money talk! I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

lizzledinwizzle said...

I was in an RA supervisor position for part of grad school for the same reason, money. If I had known how much it would have saved in my Bachelors I probably would have done it there too. The thing about being an RA is you are NEVER alone. I'm the opposite of you and need my space so it was a bit much for me. Definitely consider the RA thing and if you have any questions I can give you my email address.

The Nanny said...

Thank you! I'll definitely let you know if I do.