12.28.2008

A short quandary

So I'm kind of short.

Like a lot short, actually.

Like a smidge under 5 feet, even.

(Officially I'm 4'11 and 3/4, but I always try to get people to say 5 feet. Alas, people at doctor's offices usually have to be accurate, so I'm usually always put down as 4'11 and 3/4. *sigh*)

But this shortness? Presents a few problems. For instance, I could never be a flight attendant. I'm too short to reach the overhead bins. Not that I would ever be a flight attendant since I dislike flying, but I'd like to have the option, thankyouverymuch.

The other problem, though, has been troubling me quite a bit as of late. I like to call it "The Hug Problem."

See, when I hug people (if they're taller than, say, a 12-year-old) I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Ain't no way I'm tall enough to be able to rest my head over peoples' shoulders when we hug. Sometimes I can go up on tip-toe and have my neck craned awkwardly upwards so that it just barely reaches their shoulder. But that's no fun cause I just end up with a crick in my neck.

Or, I can just go straight in. This usually results in either a) a face-plant straight into the boobs/chest area or b) the side of my head smashed into the boobs/chest area. Which isn't awkward AT ALL.

Oh yes, my head has visited many a boob/chest area.

So as much as I enjoy some huggin' lovin', it's always a problem. My BFF D. always bends down to hug me, for which I am eternally grateful and is another reason why I love her to death, but it always looks slightly ridiculous and like she's hugging a 5-year-old. Which, I suppose, is partly why I love nannying. I can hug on my kiddos all I want and there's no neck-smashing or face-into-boobs/chest-ing! (At least not for me, that is.)

The one good thing, though, about being so short? If my boobs are well-hidden under clothing, I can sometimes get in for a kid's price at the movies.

8 comments:

Nic said...

I have often wondered what people who are on the shorter side do for clothes - I'm 5'5.5", and wear "shorts", when "short","medium" and "tall" are the options (which is crazy)...but I never thought about all the other ramifications of being smaller than average. I'll have to make sure to do the bend if I ever come across someone of shorter stature than me :-)

The Nanny said...

Yeah, that's a whole other issue--clothes! Jeans and pants will just never, ever fit me properly, so everything has to get seriously hemmed (up to 6 inches) or they SERIOUSLY drag in the dirt! I have rather, um, large boobs so I usually wear a medium in shirts, but they're always soooo long. Even the petite sections are big on me! D. can wear things right off the rack (she's 5'10 and thin) and I'm forever jealous of that!

The Hoodies said...

Add me to the short club! I am 4'10.5". That half inch is SUPER important. I can't ever find pants, shirts, or anything else that fits. I also have the boob issue and my body looks off-kilter. You would think after all this time I would have figured out the dressing thing, but not so much. (It sounds a bit like our bodies were separated at birth.)

As for the hugs, I just immediately tip toe and make my head go either left or right so as to make contact with a shoulder if I can or at least somewhere in the shoulder vicinity. The face in the boobs, not so fun!

If you come up with another solution let me know because this short girl has given up on growing. I had a dream of hitting 5feet, but I guess some dreams just aren't meant to be realized.

The Nanny said...

Whoo, girl! I would TOWER over you! (1.25 inches!!!) :-)

Good idea on the immediate tip-toe bit...I'll have to instigate it. The only problem is that for longer-ish hugs, my toes get tired!

The Hoodies said...

Yeah, my toes get tired too, but I just pretend I am a NYC ballerina (what can I say I still have a vivid imagination!) and I sweat it out. Maybe we should instigate a must sit down to hug rule ;-)

I do have to admit I am jealous of your 1.25 inches! Life is so unfair!

The Nanny said...

I TOTALLY agree with the sit-down-to-hug rule! Tall people? LISTEN!

lifeofadancer312 said...

DANG
we missed your big 20,000 views!!!!!! :(

lifeofadancer312 said...

DANG
we missed your big 20,000 views!!!!!! :(