11.28.2008

The day after Thanksgiving

This morning at 6:15 a.m. as my family and I were on the road to the local homeless shelter's food bank, I was grateful that I had the opportunity to feed others in need. I was thankful that I myself had a full belly.

This afternoon at 2:00 p.m. as I said a final tearful goodbye to Kathleen, I was grateful that I had the opportunity to see her one last time. I was thankful for the wonderful influence she's had on my life.

This evening at 8:30 p.m. as I pack my bags again to head back up to school, I am grateful that I have been able to spend the past week surrounded by my family, D., and pupster Max. I am thankful for each and every one of them.

Today my emotions have run the gamut. More than once I've broken down, but each time D., my best friend in the entire world, has been there to hug me until it's better. More than once I've laughed harder than I have in a while, and each time I look around and smile at those who are laughing with me.

Today has been hard. But I am so thankful. I'll try to write more tomorrow, but for now, I'm going to spend time with D. because I think I need to beat her at games just a few more times before I leave. Tomorrow I'll be getting up at 3:15 a.m. (getting up this morning at 5:55 is small potatoes compared to what tomorrow morning will be) headed back to my new city, and while I'm excited to be going back, I'll miss being home. But: amid everything, I know just how lucky I am. And I am so thankful.