10.27.2008

1 Frustration, 2 Questions

Frustration:
I paid for and went to get a flu shot today at the Health & Wellness Center. Alas, they were out, and I have to wait until Nov. 5. CROSSING FINGERS, TOES, AND ALL APPENDAGES THAT I DO NOT GET THE FLU BEFORE THEN. Sicknesses are running rampant 'round here.

Question #1:
With this cold weather, my skin (hands, especially) are getting really, really dried out. Can y'all recommend any lotions that'll help my poor, chapped hands? Also, do you know of any face lotions that won't make my face break out?

Question #2:
A few friends and I are fed up to HERE with dining hall food so we're taking matters into our own hands. Our goal is to cook one new meal each week (on Saturdays) just for a break. Last Saturday's was the guacamole (see below). This weekend, we're going to try to make our own roasted red pepper hummus and pita chips, and no-bake chocolate and peanut butter cookies. Problem is, we don't have an oven--so we're looking for easy, non-oven-required yummy meals. Y'all got suggestions? (Note--we do have a stovetop and microwave.)

Oh! And we're also making homemade peach and mango salsa for our election night party. Ain't nobody sleepin' til we got a winner. Regardless of who wins, let me just say that there will be people in the streets. And no one going to class the next day.

Goodness, I love all this cooking domestication. It's all great preparation for what I want to do when I grow up--be a happy homemaker. No really, that's what I want to be. No REALLY. Stop laughing.

*sigh*

8 comments:

Monica H said...

Eucerin is really good for your skin. It's great for sensitive skin and it really is hydrating. It's frangrance free and it also comes in a SPF formula. Their face lotion with SPF is also great. I've been using this since my skin mishap in February and really like it.

As for the recipe, I'll get back to you. Do you have a blender or mixer? What kitchen items do you have besides a microwave and stove top? Email me when you get a chance. I know you're a vegetarian, but do you eat eggs or fish?

Erin O. said...

Hi-

I've been reading your blog for some time now. I'm a nurse and go through several brands during the winter because I wash my hands all the time at work. I would suggest staying away from any bath and body works lotions-they tend to have a very high alcohol content which dries out your skin. Instead, go for products such as:

Gardeners Hand Therapy Cream by crabtree and evelyn

Cow cream-can be found at walmart or any cvs type store...it has a cow print on it.

Eucerine cream or aquaphor

Vaseline

Honestly, getting a pair of night gloves and slathering your hands in Vaseline every night will help tremendously. My hands get so chapped that they bleed and I can't go to work because I could get the babies sick. Yup, the life of a nurse. Hope this helps.

The Nanny said...

Monica--we don't have a blender or mixer. We have a microwave and stovetop, tea kettle, and some pans. We may go buy some pots depending on how fancy we get--we'd love to try some pastas.

I eat eggs, but no fish! I also don't eat cheese. Though it's perfectly OK to make something with cheese, I'll just make a smaller Nanny-friendly version, too :-)

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Erin--great suggestions!!! Thank you so much!

lifeofadancer312 said...

You should be able to make all of these things with what you have... I didn't check them very carefully though!

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/sandwich/restaurant-recreation-avocado-toast-from-cafe-gitane-061318

http://www.superhealthykids.com/peanutbutterballs.html

http://twofatals.com/?p=374

http://bakingbites.com/2005/11/healthy-potato-chips/

http://hotgarlic.blogspot.com/2008/09/homemade-chic-popcorn.html

http://mangotomato.blogspot.com/2008/09/avocado-salad-for-one.html

http://www.insanitytheory.net/kitchenwench/2008/07/14/morning-muesli/#comments

The Nanny said...

Wow--thanks sis! This is great! I especially love the ones with avocado. Oh, and all the desserts...

Allyson said...

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream is the best.

I have sensitive skin so I like Oil Of Olay for sensitive skin for the face.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Allyson! I love the non-greasy Norwegian Formula Hand Cream for the daytime. You can use something more serious at night, if you need. And I really like the Oil of Olay sensitive skin, too.

The Hoodies said...

I totally recommend Indigo Wild Almond Lotion. It is like a drug and you will be fast addicted. It is intoxicating and yummy.

Good luck on the cooking!! I can encourage, but am at a loss for suggestions.