8.24.2008

Pickled jalepenos and a pair of Daisy Dukes

Today I breakfasted at a fabulous little dive called Mecca. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't pass FDA regulations, but nonetheless, the food was delicious. I'm pretty sure there aren't very many of those kinds of places up north. And I'm pretty sure I won't run into a man who has almost as many teeth as fingers waiting on the next table over saying, "Kin'ah git y'all ladies sumthin' t'drink?" (Sound it out, it's fun to say out loud...)

Also, readers, I need your ideas. I'm trying to think up something clever and stereotypically Texan to bring for my roommates as little presents. Something inexpensive yet funny, I don't know. Do y'all have any suggestions?

P.S. It's almost midnight when I write this, so I'm going to count this as tomorrow: 5 days.

Five DAYS.

11 comments:

Monica H said...

Not really funny- but I always like giving Lamme's pecan pralines. Do y'all have one of those where you live?

Those are pretty durn Texan to me :-)

lifeofadancer312 said...

my vote is still to bring them those texas shaped tortilla chips. (and when you give the bag to them, make sure to accentuate the tortiLLLLLa chips...)

Anonymous said...

TEXAS TOAST!!!!

Anonymous said...

Stuffed armadillos?

niobe said...

No ideas whatsoever, since I've only been in Texas once in my life. And my visit consisted solely of about an hour at the airport, waiting for my connecting flight, with a very airsick little boy in tow.

Minivan Mom said...

I like the idea of the Texas tortilla chips. The whole Texas pride thing is VERY foreign to northerners...it would never, EVER, cross our minds to want to incorporate something about the state into our food.

It's just weird if you think about it.

The Nanny said...

LOL Minivan Mom we also gave the Texas tortilla chips to two French teenage exchange students we hosted one summer. They were completely befuddled.

Once Removed said...

If you have a Dairy Queen nearby...bring them something from there. They dont have DQ anywhere but Texas. All their stuff like cups/bags/wrappers/toys say DQ - thats what I like about Texas! :)

Monica H said...

Once Romoved- I thought Dairy Queens were only in Texas as well bacause of the phrase "Texas Stop Sign", but they're not. They're all over the place! Click below for locations:

http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/store-locator/

They make chocolates (and pralines) in Texas shapes, but the tortilla chips is a cute idea. I hope they don't get crushed on the way up there.

Have you decided what you're taking?

The Nanny said...

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I think I'm definitely taking the tortilla chips and am going to shop around for some more food type things that really scream TEXAS.

lifeofadancer312 said...

YES!
and you vetoed my tortilla chip idea in the beginning!