7.27.2008

A quirk about me

I am obsessed with used bookstores. I love them. Once, in April while I was in College City all by myself, I got supremely lonely. I walked a few blocks down and found an old bookshop that sold only used European history books. Not exactly my genre of choice, but I didn't care. I walked inside, inhaled the musty, old book smell, walked to the back and found a chair, sat down, pulled out my own book and read for two straight hours.

I covet books. I just love to have them surrounding me. I would live in a library if I could.

I usually only buy used books. And when I go to used bookstores, I buy the rattiest, most dog-eared copies of the books I can find. I love the books that are so beat up--imagining how many people have owned them before me, read the words and caressed the pages. People look at me like I'm crazy, but I love a good used book.


My beloved, well worn copy of Little Women with half its front cover ripped off (I didn't rip it, but it's almost 30 years old and after literally hundreds of times being read, it started to disentigrate) and its spine held together with packing tape. Once someone told me it was a shame to treat books that way. I disagree--it shows how much they're loved.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

You are starting to scare me. OK, not really, but still. Another thing we have in common. I LOVE bookstores too. And I LOVE old books. My favorite bookstore is this little used and out of print books store in Taos New Mexico. I also love a good, worn book. I remember Farrah's husband Bart, I don't know if he still does it or not, but he used to. He would read a book by barely opening it because he didn't want to damage the spine. He wanted it to still look new when he finished reading it. I thought that was the craziest thing I had every heard. I love a book to look like I enjoyed it when I am finished reading it. I could spend hours in a bookstore too. I don't much any more because I have 4 kids, but I used to.