6.26.2008

When I grow up

With this whole college thing looming, I've really been thinking about what I want to be when I grow up. You know, cause I'm not grown up now or anything. And though I know I want to focus on one specific field (okay, okay, I'll spill. It's communications--more specifically, journalism) I haven't been able to pin down exactly what in that field I'd want to do. I worked on my high school paper (and climbed my way to Managing Editor my senior year--and my senior year, our school's paper won several nationally accredited awards for the first time, thankyouverymuch) all 4 years and LOVED it. L-O-V-E-D loved it. My favorite part was the actual putting together of the paper--laying it out and overseeing design.

So for a while I thought I'd focus specifically on publishing. And I know I'd love that.

But what I really would love to do?

I'd love to be a professional interviewer. I LOVE to interview people. Not just famous people, mind you...I truly, honestly believe that everyone has a story to be told. Even the most unexpected people. I found that out while interviewing my grandparents last summer. I don't like so much to write the actual stories about people, I just love interviewing. I love coming up with sets of questions and plunging headfirst into the questioning--but then I love how those questions are only a spring board for where the interview can go. Does that make sense? I usually come up with 20 or so questions to start with, but I'll end up asking 50 or more, just based on what I'm hearing. I love that.

For my entire life I've wanted to write a book. Maybe this will be my book. I'll travel the 50 states and find one random person in each state to interview. Just a random person. I don't know if that's been done before. But that's what I'd love to do.

What do y'all think?

3 comments:

Monica H said...

I think that's fantastic Nanny. I'd love to read your book. You can interview me for practice if you want :-)

Minivan Mom said...

I don't think you should stress/worry about it, because you will change your mind and your path 7 times anyway. At least according to the statistics.

:)

The Nanny said...

Oh, I'm not worrying about it. I just got a packet with five thousand class options for me to choose between for my schedule and I'm trying to pick ones that will somehow gear me toward what I eventually want to do :-)