6.19.2008

Hello little boys, little toys

Y'all.

It has been a day.

It has been a day that I think, quite frankly, rivals Monica H's bad day yesterday, though not quite as bad.

It all started last night. Around 7 or 8 p.m., I started having really, really bad stomach pains. Sometimes I get gas bubbles like that, so I figured it would go away and drank a Sprite to help it. Well, no such luck. I also tried, uh, to use the restroom...to no relief or avail. The pain didn't get better at all--instead, it got worse. It wasn't unbearable, so I sort of ignored it and went to bed.

This morning...ouch. Ouch. Ouch. I wasn't of a mindest, really, to think of much other than it just must be a really large unpoppable gas bubble. I called my doctors office, in tears, asking them to fit me in as soon as possible. Once they got how in pain I was, they told me to just get there and they'd put me in.

I drove to the doctor's, moaning in pain, while it rained and thundered. Honestly, it's a miracle I didn't wreck the car. But I made it, got upstairs somehow, and into the examining room. I explained my symptoms and my doctor (whom I LOVE) told me to lie on my back so she could feel my stomach. Well, that brought unbearable pain. I was crying and gasping through the hurt while she poked and prodded. She looked up at me and the look she gave me made me downright scared. She looked worried for me, and doctors aren't supposed to be worried! They're supposed to know all the answers!

She gave me two options: 1) to go downstairs to the emergency room (my doc's office is in a large hospital) or 2) to go to her lab, give bloodwork and then go straight downstairs to get a CT scan. I think I managed to mumble, "Idon'tknowwhattodoI'mallalone" through my tears. At that point the tears were from pain AND fear. She decided for me--to do the bloodwork & then CT scan route. So I picked myself off the table and walked down the hall to the lab.

I've never really had trouble giving blood--my veins are fairly easy. But today, apparently, they were "rolling," and it took the nurse several tries to stick me in my right arm. After the bloodwork, I stumbled downstairs and into the diagnostic center where they'd give me the CT scan. Along the way, I called both my parents and D, crying. Even though I told her not to, D came flying up to the hospital to be with me. I was so grateful and felt better not by myself.

Once back for my CT scan, I had to answer 12 million questions and sign a waiver that no, I SWEAR I wasn't pregnant. I also had to sit for an hour (in big major pain) drinking some radioactive lemonade. I'm not kidding. That's what it was. It was gross and gave me...uh...bad bathroom issues. In the meantime, D sat, concerned, reassuring me that everything was okay. I was slightly freaking out, thinking stomach cancer! PCOS! Kidney stones! Kidney failure! Oh god, I'm going to go on dialysis and have to get a new kidney!

Finally, they called me back to give me the IV for the scan. Well, not having eaten in almost 18 hours + severe dehydration brought on by said bathroom issues + the room was f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g + my veins already having been poked and prodded made for no fun trying to stick a needle in me. The nurse tried my right arm again, then the left. Then the right, and then the left AGAIN. They she tried for my hands (WHICH HURT, by the way). First she tried the right, no luck but more pain. Then she tried the left, and tried the left again and finally got it. It took about 25 minutes to thread my IV. Finally, though it was done and I was good to go.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with a CT scan. I thought it was somewhere along the lines of an MRI, which kind of freaked me out, but it wasn't nearly as bad. The machine itself was about as wide as an MRI, but a lot thinner--only about a foot of my body was under the machine at one time, I just scooted back and forth on the automatic bed thingy. They came in about halfway through to start the dye, which caused me to have weird warming sensations all over and a bad taste in my mouth.

Finally, it was done, and D and I headed back up to my doctor's office to wait for the results. Approximately 45 minutes and major pain later, it was announced that I had colitis. Or collitis. Dr. Google will accept both spellings. Basically, it means that my colon (part of the large intestine) is really swollen. Lovely. And also very painful.

My doc thinks it was caused either by something I ate or something viral. It also explaines the undiagnosed mystery sickness I had not this past weekend but the one before. In the meantime, I'm strictly on the BRAT diet again (just as I had slowly started to come off it) and taking both a major antibiotic and advil three times a day. The doc also wrote me a perscription for vicodin, which I was hesitant to accept from her (I don't usually react well to those kind of drugs) but now I'm glad I did. I was in so much pain this evening that I had to take one in addition to advil.

So right now I'm okay, a bit loopy from the vicodin but otherwise not in too much pain. The pain kind of comes in waves, though, so I don't think I'm nearly out of the loop yet. It's been a very weird, very surreal day. This time 12 hours ago I was sitting in my doc's office, crying my eyes out. Even though I'm not physically feeling all that much better, the relief that I got a diagnosis that wasn't too bad really made things okay. And D there was a really, really good thing.

All in all, I'm exhausted. D cooked me scalloped potatoes (YUM and doctor approved!) and applesauce for dinner, then we played a few games, and I'm about ready to keel over from tiredness. I'm headed to bed!

5 comments:

pithydithy said...

Oh, hon, that sounds terrible! I hope that you're feeling better soon.

lifeofadancer312 said...

sorry girl. we felt SO bad we weren't there with you to help you feel better and stuff. the padres were freaking out (which made for a very enjoyable 10 hour car ride!) but calmed down after they knew you were doing a bit better.

i'm really glad you feeling at least a bit better now!

Jaime said...

OMG! I had the same situation not that long ago. I had stomach pains that were excrutiating like in my overies. It started out seeming like really bad gas pains that wouldnt go away. Tried to use the bathroom and nothing. Went to my OB/GYN and she did the same worried look - and suggest I go next door to the hospital. I was an hour from home and ALONE! So after they too poked and prodded me, put me in a FREEZING ER room, and made me drink the radioactive junk (mine was orange flavored tho..but still disgusting.) After the CT scan they determined I had a ruptured cyst in my ovaries. They gave me vicodin (which I ended up choking on because they are huge pills) and sent me home with strict instructions to stay in bed.

P.S. did the dye make you feel like you were going to throw up? It made me nausious.

Weird how people go through the same thing as you!

www.onceremoved.wordpress.com

The Nanny said...

It did make me feel nauseated. More, though, it made me have to take repeated trips to the bathroom...sorry for the TMI! A ruptured cyst sounds like NO fun at all--hope you're okay now!

Monica H said...

When I first started to read this it reminded me of when I was pregnant and going into labor with Sam. The sysmptoms were very much the same and as I tried to go to the bathroom, my water broke.

And like Jaime I've had ovarian cysts rupture too. It is much more painful than labor (in my opinion)- weird, huh?

Your day almost seemed worse than mine, but thanks for being sympathetic :-) I'm sorry you're sick but at least you know what's wrong and you're being treeated. If I were closer to you, I'd bring you some homemade dumplins and bread with lots of butter.

Take care of yourself! I'm glad D was there for you and is cooking you dinner.