5.11.2008

Eh, I took it down. And a thank you.

I had a whiny, bitchy post up earlier but honestly, I felt yucky for posting it so I took it down. Now back to your regularly scheduled blog.

I owe a million, zillion, quatrillion thank yous to the fabulous Niobe. About a month ago, she put up an offer on her blog: she was headed to Paris, and wanted to know if anybody wanted souvenirs. Now, if you know me in real life, you know I (try to) speak French. I've technically been 'learning' for 13 years now, and I want to go to France desperately some day. I so so so so so wanted her to send me a little something French, so eagerly, shamelessly, I begged for a gift.

Well, today, I got my gift. And I couldn't be more excited. I had no idea what it was going to be ahead of time and, to tell the truth, it's far more than I expected. To Niobe: thank you. I am positively floored, ridiculously happy, and forever indebted to you.

A petit bottle of a delicious-looking French vinaigrette, which I cannot wait to try. But I don't want to open the bottle, because, well...I'm sappy like that.


Du sucre (sugar)


Six tiny spoons, which I will now use with my daily cup of tea and feel oh so
Parisienne.


And, the best part:



A old, heavy, well-worn silver key with a light blue ribbon tied to the top. It has the numbers 9558 on one side, and two Rs back-to-back on the other side. I've been running my fingers over it all day, wondering what door, trunk, lock it could have opened...and how many people have touched it before me.

So tell me this, friends. What do you think the key went to?

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Maybe it went to the nunnery where the nun on Niobe's blog was running to/from.

The Nanny said...

LOL!

lifeofadancer312 said...

i was wondering where those things came from when i saw them! that's so cool!

sassyshell said...

My guess is the door of a fabulous, old fashioned house with heavy glass windows and fireplaces and reading nooks and a wine cellar and a beautiful garden in the back.

Just my guess :)

Monica H said...

How fun! I bet it went to an attic or an old hotel. It would be so interesting to find out. You should investigate what the double R's mean.

The Nanny said...

I've tried googling it, to no avail. I want to find out, too! I did find a web site that sold old French keys (apparently they're popular?), but I didn't see any with double R's...then again, there were thousands of keys and I didn't want to look through them all ;-)

niobe said...

Unfortunately, I have *no* idea what the key might have once unlocked. (but I'm very glad you liked the stuff)