5.27.2008

No sushi for me

A conversation between me and a random man at Half Price Books last night:

Him: Uhh, I don't really know how to ask this...but how old are you?

Me: ...*insert age*

Him: I thought so. You look really, really young but I thought you might be older.

Me (thinking, Gee, thanks): Oh...ha ha...

Him: Do you like sushi?

Me: Uh, no, actually...I'm a vegetarian.

Him: OH. Um...well, I was going to ask if you wanted to go get some.

Me: Oh! Ha ha...well...I'm kind of in a relationship right now...

Him: Oh. Well, I was also looking for a friend.

Me: Oh...sorry...hey, I've gotta go. They just called my name over the intercom thingy saying my books were ready... (WHICH THEY HAD, ACTUALLY. THAT WASN'T JUST AN EXCUSE)

Him: Oh. Okay.

Me: Sorry...well...bye...

Him: *turns quickly and walks away*

Me: *biiiiiig sigh*

8 comments:

lifeofadancer312 said...

AWWWW
that's really cute :)

Minivan Mom said...

How...flattering.

And weird.

But flattering!

The Nanny said...

Sis, not really.

Tracey, that's one way of putting it...

I think my choice of word to sum up the whole debacle is "AWKWARD."

Monica H said...

What did this "random man" look like and what was he buying?

The Nanny said...

Well, it was weird. D. & I were there, and we had to go up to the information desk to ask about something, and we see this short (I'm 4'11 and I don't think he could have been much taller than 5'3) young guy dressed fairly nicely standing to the side. (Well, to be completely honest, we both at first wondered if he was actually a woman with very short hair.) We asked if he was in line, and he waived us ahead of him. We told him no, that he could go ahead, so he did and asked if his friend was working that day. She wasn't, so he turned and left (or so we thought), but first wished D. & I a good day.

Later on, I was perusing the fiction section and I notice him out of the corner of my eye. He kept looking over at me so I walked away. I stopped for 20 seconds to look at a book and he came up behind me and that's when the conversation started. He wasn't holding anything, but when I saw him back in fiction he was looking at something, but I couldn't see what.

The Nanny said...

*pardon me. He wished D. & ME a good day. And I noticeD him out of the corner of my eye. Didn't stop to proofread, sorry.

Allyson said...

Oh Nanny....you broke the poor guys heart.

The Nanny said...

I know, and I felt so bad! But...I just couldn't. It was all a bit too weird. He was a bit too weird. It's hard to put my finger on what, but there was definitely something off with him.