5.16.2008

I can relate! YEAH!!!

Yesterday I took Natty to the barn. On the way back, she asked to stop at Barnes & Noble to pick up a book for school, and I happily obliged. I love bookstores. Old, new, and in-between...I could spend hours in them. Once, while I was lonely in Dream School City, I walked around until I found a bookstore (it was an old, old, tiny store that only sold historical novels), went to the back of it, sat down, and read my own book for about an hour. It was heaven.

But I digress.

We went in and Natty went straight to the pre-teen fiction section. I followed her. I love pre-teen fiction. I really do. As a pre-teen, I spent hours and days and weeks of my life reading everything I could get my hands on. I am, as you might say, a conaisseur of zee books.

She didn't have anything really in mind, so that's where I jumped in.

"Ohhh, Natty, have you read any Sarah Dessen? OHMYGOD she has a new book out! Natty, you'd LOVE HER. She's awesome. Great writer. You should definitely get something of hers. OHMYGOD Natty! Look! The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants! Have you read those yet??? Oh, you've got to!" and on, and on, and on. And then I realized that I'd been talking for the better part of 10 minutes and Natty was about to die of boredom. So I excused myself and fled to the children's section, where I found great comfort in the antics of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (OHMYGOD, have you guys read Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle? She is the. best. EVER. You HAVE to read some of her stories.).

Eventually, Natty made her decision--the new Sarah Dessen book! Yes!--and we checked out. But, get this. As we were walking out of the store, Natty looked up at me and said, "Thanks for all your advice, Nanny. It really helped."

YEAH!!! Best news I'd heard all. day. I can help! I'm relatable! I remember being 12! I'm fabulous!

1 comment:

Furrow said...

You're too prolific as a blogger for me to keep up, so I just stopped by to say hi, and sorry for being so late.

I love YA books. Maybe a little older than pre-teen, but who knows. It's hard to categorize some of them.