5.13.2008

The Boy & I

Mondays & Fridays with the Boy and Girl have been going really well. It's nice to find to pre-teen kids who don't hate their babysitter and actually listen to what I say. What a concept, eh?

These kids, though...I really got lucky with these kids.

They LOVE games.

I LOVE games.

We're a match made in heaven.

Each time, once both kids are done with homework and beds are made and etc., etc., etc., we bust out the goods.

That's right.

Speed, cash, ERS, BS, cribbage...we do it all. And it gets i-n-t-e-n-s-e. Especially while playing ERS, which involves slapping cards (and usually each others' hands in the process). I've learned the hard way to take off my rings while playing unless I want to a) be accused of using them to get an advantage in the slapping process (i.e., cheating) or b) cleaning up blood (DISCLAIMER: I've never actually made either of them bleed. My rather large costume jewelry ring did make Boy have a sore finger for a few days, though). The games also involve lots of yelling and screaming. The kids have asked me several times to be quiet so the neighbors don't call the police.

Oops.

But y'all know how competitive I get.

Usually, to be fair, we play until each of us has won at least one game. Which may take a while. Because try as he might...Boy hates the faster-paced games (ERS, speed & BS), which both Girl and I LOVE. So he hardly ever wins those. But he's beastly good at cribbage...man, he has all the luck at that game! It's ridiculously unfair. Isn't there a rule somewhere that says you're not allowed to beat your nanny 12 times in a row?!?

(P.S. We're always open to suggestions of new games.)

5 comments:

Monica H said...

I LOVE Yahtzee! And I kick @ss at it too- so fun! But Mr. H doesn't play because he's a sore loser and he trie sto cheat at most everything.

What is ERS?

The Nanny said...

Oooh, I love Yahtzee too. D. and I like to play that...I'll see if I can borrow her Yahtzee set to take to the kids' house! Great suggestion!

And ERS is Egyptian Rat Slap or Screw...depending on what your parents allowed you to call it :-) I could try to explain it here, but I'm sure it'd make no sense. But it's a very fun card game!

Allyson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allyson said...

Sounds like fun. We love Skip-Bo around here.

The Nanny said...

Allyson, I think I played that game once years and years ago. It's a card game, right? What's the objective?