4.16.2008

I ain't nothin' but a hound dog

Y'all, it is sooooo nice to have internet again. I seriously have an addiction to it...I was feeling major withdrawals not having it for so long. I've caught up on most of your blogs (but haven't commented...sorry...) and am halfway through my stacks of mail...that reminds me...I've gotta pay my credit card bill...where did it go again?!?

ANYWAY. Pupster Max was so excited to see me when I got home last night that he practically knocked me over. He weighs around 14 lbs, but that was 14 lbs of seriously happy daschund love. Lulabelle (bird) wasn't quite as excited. She mainly just looked at me as if to say, "Oh, it's you again. Open my cage door so I can fly around for a while." Henry (fish) swam right up to meet me when I walked into the bathroom. Aww. I like to think he missed me too.

So Dream School City was good. I really liked walking so much around the city, and my faboo Payless flats turned out to be a lifesaver. They were SO comfy and I wore them every day. D. came up to meet me & look at schools for herself on Saturday, but I was by myself from Thursday to then. I liked it a lot, but I felt very lonely not knowing ANYBODY up there. But I did have a great time perusing old graveyards (that creeped D. out, but I found it fascinating...pictures to come soon) and I ended up wasting $8.00 seeing a movie Saturday afternoon.

But. About Dream School. I've been back and forth on this issue several times. While I was there, I talked with a financial aid rep (they were very sympathetic about my situation but had no mercy whatsoever) and a few admissions people, just about my options. One of the things they suggested to make Dream School more financially viable was for me to do year-round classes and graduate a year early, or to do a state school/community college for 2 years and then transfer in (an option I'd already considered).

My initial thoughts after the open house on Friday were that I really liked the school & what it could offer me. It's not a perfect school by far, and I see that even more clearly now after having visited several big-name schools with D. (she's ridiculously smart). But I do like it a lot.

I hesitated about that for a while, trying to figure out if it was really worth it financially, and for another reason I won't go into since this is a public blog (but it's more important to me than anything). But as of today...I'm thinking I should go this August afterall, regardless of the financial situation. My feeling is I'm excited about the college experience, and if I don't snatch this up now, I'll always wonder "what if." I don't want to have any regrets. I don't want to do the community college/state school option, because I never wanted a school like that to begin with--which is why I liked Dream School so much.

I'm not 100% committed. I'm still waiting on a phone call from the admissions reps to talk about a few more things. But for now, that's what I'm thinking.

All right...now I do need to get to unpacking & get some laundry done. I'm taking Natty to the barn this afternoon and tomorrow I actually leave for a 2-day trip to go to several softball games with the girls. Hopefully this hotel will have internet!

P.S. If y'all have any comments or advice about the whole Dream School thing, as always, leave them in the comments section. I'm needy. I need reassurance and/or good advice about what to do. What would y'all do if you were me?

6 comments:

Monica H said...

Your pets missed you and so did we! Glad you're back.

Minivan Mom said...

I don't think you can ever really regret education.

I mean, I know, I know people will talk about spending ridiculous amounts of money and student loan debt and how you could get just as good an education at a state school, blah blah blah...but since I happen to know both your dream school and where you live now, I applaud you for being willing to take a chance, take a risk, and think outside the box.

I would go to the dream school, if faced with this decision. For what it's worth. :)

Furrow said...

I went to state school and got a full scholarship, and while I appreciate the fact that I graduated with no debt, I do sometimes regret not going further from home and climbing higher on the academic ladder. However, I had a great college experience, so you'll be fine whichever way you go. You're largely responsible for your own education, whatever the setting.

lifeofadancer312 said...

when you go to dream school, can i have your room? i think i'm either going to turn it into a closet or a whole ballet studio!

just kidding :)

i really don't know what you should do about dream school... follow your heart! (i know, i know... cheesy, but hey! it's good advice!)

Farrah said...

Miss Nanny- I have no idea what school this is you are talking about, but you refer to it as "dream school" so I am assuming it is just that.

My advice, and take it for what it is worth, is to go for it. You have been accepted to your dream school (that doesn't happen for everyone), you are only at this point in your life once, and living with the students loans is a lot easier than living with the regret of your unfulfilled dreams.

GO FOR IT! Don't look back. You will be so happy you did.

Anonymous said...

just fyi...
i went to a state school and now am in professional school, so i am glad i did what i did.
i could have gone to dream school and shelled out much more for the same standard undergraduate education.
undergraduate education is standard across the board.
graduate school however is not.
i graduated in 2 years from ug, so it was worth it for me.