4.19.2008

Battle wounds! Yeah!

Back from the softball trip! Slightly sunburnt, exhausted, and with a nice softball-sized bruise on the back of my right calf (who'd have thought that you can't turn your back while standing in the fenced-in dugout?!?). Closer to 97% positive that Dream School is a go. I have to send a check in within the next week, so it's really now or never to decide. Am babysitting right now, but both kiddos are asleep. Remember these guys? W.'s a pretty sick little guy right now, running a fever, but he's been pretty low-key in his bedroom this evening. B. was asleep when I got here, so it's smooth sailing for Nanny Dearest.

I took Natty & her friend to the barn Wednesday afternoon. They really crack me up...oh, the minds of middle schoolers (though I'm not so far removed from that...am I?). Amid other things (gratefully, they had homework to do during the car ride, so we kept the rap-blasting at a minimum, oh my god I sound like an old lady saying that, but anyway) they were conversing in broken, sketchy French, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and talked about getting braces.

(Back to the French bit--for some odd reason, their French teacher was having them memorize dialogues instead of actually learning the language...as they were trading lines back and forth, they were speaking as if they had no idea what they were saying. Turns out, they didn't know what anything meant. I translated for them and felt very proud of myself. See? I'm good for something, right?)

I honestly get a huge kick out of just listening to the two of them talk, and I rarely interject. I just listen and wait for good blog material to present itself.

Natty had braces for a few years and recently got them off. She just found out that she had to get them on again (as a fellow former-braces-sufferer, I can certainly sympathize) and couldn't for the life of her figure out WHY she had to get them AGAIN.

"Maybe," I joked, "your dentist needs to make a Lexus payment?"
*silence*
"You know," I prodded, "cause braces are so expensive?"
"OH YEAH," Natty's friend shouted. "BRACES ARE, LIKE, SOOOOOOO EXPENSIVE. LIKE THEY COST MORE THAN MY MOM'S LOUIS VUITTON PURSE."
"Yeah," Natty echoed. "It's, like, inSANE how expensive they are. Like $3,000 or something."
"Yeah."
"I'd want to be a dentist cause they make a lot of money," Natty said. "Except, like, they have to do work."
"Yeah."
"Oh yeah," I jumped in, "that's a real bummer."
"Yeah," they both said.

Yeah.

Work sucks, eh?

Yeah.

4 comments:

lifeofadancer312 said...

hahahaha those girls crack me up!

i love nanny stories :)

Monica H said...

Yeah it sucks- the braces and the job!

The Nanny said...

Amen, girl!

stellatus sidera said...

ahahahahhaahhahahahaha

hahahah

"except, like, they have to do WORK."

god. yeah. that sounds like me right now.

"i'd LOVE to do my homework so i can go out and do fun senior year stuff! but that takes effort. so instead, i'd rather just sit on my ass and claim senioritis."