3.17.2008

Never a dull moment!

Edited to add: It's 12:19 p.m. on Tuesday now, and it's been raining so hard for so long that our attic is leaking and we're worried about the house flooding (we're on the top of a small hill, so that's saying something). Never ever a dull moment!

It's 11 o'clock at night. I'm about to get ready for bed, I'm tired, it's been a long day.

Nope. The gods of the universe have other ideas!

There's a high-pitched beeping sound coming from somewhere. It's loud. It's close. It's not from my house, that's for sure, but it does sound like a smoke alarm. We head outside to try to figure it out.

We quickly suspect it's coming from the vacant house next door. Nobody lives there, and we can't be sure it's coming from there--it's windy and it's throwing the sound off. But we're pretty sure it's from the vacant house. We call 911 and explain the situation, and they tell me they're sending a firetruck out.

Okay! Great! Thanks!

It takes less than 4 minutes for the firefighters to arrive.......but those 4 minutes are pretty darn long. For me, thoughts are running through my head like crazy. "What if it's coming from somebody's house behind the alley and the firefighters are already on their way?" "What if this is a false alarm and it's really nothing?" "What if the beeping stops before they get here?" "What if it IS coming from my house?!?!?"

Luckily, the beeping continues until they get here. Four or five firefighters hop out of the truck and investigate. They peer around the house and check the doors and windows for signs of intrusion. They think it's the burgalar alarm. I'm thinking, "Oh, shit, I knew the police should have come too!"

One firefighter finds a window that's unlocked and a couple of guys go in. They're in there for a lo-o-o-o-ong time. Just as I'm starting to get worried ("What if there's somebody in there who's killing them silently as they come in? What if whoever it is is just waiting for me to go in next?!?!? I DON'T WANT TO DIE!"), the beeping stops and the firefighters emerge.

It was a smoke alarm (I was right!), and they've taken out the batteries. We apologize for calling them even though there's no fire. "It certainly woke us up!" we say.

"There's nobody in there to wake up though," one guy says. "So don't worry."

Uh, okay. But if the house next door is going up in flames, I'm a bit concerned.

Of course the first thing I do is blog about the experience. But now I'm tired and going to bed!

2 comments:

Monica H said...

You're nuts.

Furrow said...

What a wake-up call! Worse than a baby crying at 3 am ... maybe.

I can see how 4 minutes would feel like an eternity when you're worried about a fire spreading.