3.13.2008

Fork + Spoon does NOT equal knife

Do y'all ever wonder if we'll still be here in 10 years? No, I'm not getting all philosophical and talking about the earth here. (What, are you kidding me? I'm no WAY that deep.) I'm talking about here, as in with our blogs.

I read somewhere that the average life of a blog is 3 years. To me, that sounded long...but hey, what do I know? I'm barely 6 months into mine but already I've "met" some really cool people and formed some good friendships, even if I don't know the people in real life (IRL). I think about a lot of the people whose blogs I read often. Will I still know you guys in 10 years? 5 years?

Will you guys one day be reading about my wedding, the birth of my kids, a new dog, a new house, a new job? Or will I fade out of the blog-o-sphere eventually, and the brief but intense blog relationships I've made ending? Will I meet any of you guys in real life, or will you remain forever, to me, anonymous bloggers?

I think of blogging somewhat like pen pals. We write back and forth, updating each other about the goings-on in our lives. The only difference is that with pen pals, you're usually far apart. I could be reading the anonymous blog of my next-door neighbor and not know it...you may have met me and not realized it. But since I'm anonymous, you'll never know.

What do you think?

3 comments:

lifeofadancer312 said...

To answer your questions:

1) In 10 years I probably won't be here (blogging)... especially because i can't seem to update more than once every three weeks or so...

2) You had best still know me in 5 years. And 10 years... I am your sister, for heaven's sake!

4) Not only will I be reading about, but I will hopefully be AT your wedding and playing with your kids and new dog in your house while you are working away at your new job.

5) Anonymous blogger? Hey now... that hurts!

6) Did you notice that I skipped number 3?

:D

Monica H said...

I've often wondered about this too. I do not think I'll still be bloging in 10 years. If I am, it (hopefully) will not be about dead babies- but about the living children I have. Who knows?

I have thought about this because some fellow bloggers have stopped blogging all together, or only update once a quarter and I think about them often. I do feel that they are my friends even though we have never met IRL. I consider you my friend and I would miss you if we ever parted :-)

Although, if we have met, shame on you for not introducing yourself, because you know what I look like, even though you still remain anonymous (wink, wink). If/when you decide to marry or have children it would be nice to know, whether ot not this blog exists.

Furrow said...

I would like to still be blogging, but I don't know that it will be under my current persona. I've moved from obfuscated anonymity to sloppy sometimes-pseudonymity. I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with that, since a lot of my earlier stuff is not something I'd want my IRL people to see.

But like you, I think of my blog friends a lot. I even dream about them sometimes.