2.11.2008

Alas, no victories for me.

But no victories for D., either, cause we didn't play any games. Auntie Flo came in town rather nastily and severely for me yesterday and I only had one thing on the brain:



D., like the amazing trooper that she is, humored me and drove me to T.om Thu.mb to get some.

Oh my god, y'all.

It's like...heaven in a pint-sized container of glory.

And I ate the whole. damn. thing.

That's right. The whole thing. In like an hour. I've never even come close to that before. As much as I enjoyed it, I was feelin' it an hour later. Talk about the world's biggest sugar high followed swiftly by the world's biggest sugar high crash.

Ohhhh...I'm tired just thinking about it...

But ANYWAY. I'm going to side note here and ask y'all for a few thoughts and prayers for my sweet uncle Dave. He's about the coolest uncle you could ask for and I love him dearly.

Uncle Dave was a diabetic for 30 years. At the end, he was on dialysis--2 hours hooked up every day. We thought he didn't have long at all to live...he had been on a liver and pancreas transplant list for so long with no results. Then we got a phone call--they had a liver and a pancreas available! He had the surgery and it was a great success. It was amazing. He was a whole new man.

That was 10 years ago, and he's done great ever since, until recently. About a month before Christmas, he started not feeling well again. They found a HUGE hernia in his stomach. They operated at the beginning of January and thought they fixed it. They didn't, and he started going way downhill. He had major complications with the surgery. They had to re-operate a week ago and found cancer all in his abdomen. At this point they don't know what they can do. His kidneys are failing, and they don't know why. The cancer has spread from his lymph nodes into his liver. He's been delirious for the past few days, having conversations with people who aren't there. It's scary and sad.

If you can, think about him and his wife, my aunt Faye. They're both in their mid-50's and have so much longer to live. They're about the most generous people you could imagine. They don't have any children, but they single-handedly raised money over the years for all of their nieces and nephews' college funds--thousands and thousands of dollars. College wouldn't even be a possibility for me without their help.

I may be flying up there in the next few days. We're just not sure what is going to happen yet. I'll keep you posted, though.

Thanks.

4 comments:

lifeofadancer312 said...

Please, guys. Pray for him. We're all really scared and he is the funniest, coolest, most amazing person ever. His family can use all they prayers they can get.

Monica (H)opeful said...

I will gladly include him and your family in my prayers. You've been there for me when I needed them for my Grandma (please keep 'em coming) so I will pray for your uncle. I'm sorry he has to go through this.

P.S. I like your new blog look- cute!

Sara said...

i like the new look of your blog & the ice cream sounds fab, i'm amazed it only took you an hour - i'm afraid i'd have eaten it faster than that ;)

Erin C said...

Oh you and your family are most definitely in my thoughts. Love your new layout!