11.01.2007

Yeah, yeah, it's been a few days. HUSH.

First off:

Your Superpower Should Be Mind Reading

You are brilliant, insightful, and intuitive.
You understand people better than they would like to be understood.
Highly sensitive, you are good at putting together seemingly irrelevant details.
You figure out what's going on before anyone knows that anything is going on!

Why you would be a good superhero: You don't care what people think, and you'd do whatever needed to be done

Your biggest problem as a superhero: Feeling even more isolated than you do now


Wheeeee! This was fun. Though...I don't feel especially isolated now...and...I'm not THAT brilliant...and I kind of suck at 'putting together seemingly irrelevant details' (no wonder I was always bad at writing English papers)...and...and...and...I do like my superhero lady's hair. Very cute.

At the risk of making my blog propaganda for my political beliefs (what? what about the George Bush jokes posted previously, you say? Well those are funny. This is serious. SERIOUS, people), I came across this little tidbit and thought I'd post it. Call me extreme, but THIS is why I don't let my nannygirls watch TV.

DID YOU KNOW that children who watch a lot of TV and movies tend to:

~Perform worse in school.

~They spend less time reading.
~They have shorter attention spans.
~Their vocabulary is not as highly developed.
~Be more overweight.

~They snack excessively while watching TV.
~They see food in programs and ads that promote unhealthy eating choices.
~They tend to exercise less.
~Act the way TV characters act.

~Children as young as 1 year old learn behaviors from television.
~Children imitate actions and scripts from TV programs instead of creating their own play ideas.
~See ads that are harmful to them.

~Children under the age of 6 cannot tell the difference between an ad and a show.
~Children are encouraged to nag their parents for things they see on TV.
~Children learn to see violence as an acceptable form of play and way to solve problems.

(From the Teachers Resisting Unhealthy Children's Entertainment group)

What do you guys think? I mean, I know it's extremely helpful to let the Back.yard.igans entertain the kids for just a little while so that I can get something accomplished. Sometimes it's necessary just to plop them in front of the TV in order to make me not go insane. But I try to avoid that at all costs. Okay, my rant is over!

I promise a full update with girls news and all either tomorrow or Saturday. But for now, I've gotta get ready for work!

3 comments:

stellatus sidera said...

i totally support your whole no-TV thing. it's awesome. i could never be that inventive with kids lol. i'd play hide-and-go-seek all day. lol.
i think you should plug my blog in yours and tell everyone how awesome i am so that i can get more than just one comment.
LOVES.
and tell me whenever me and t should come meet you at starbucks!!!!
thanks for the text. love.

The Nanny said...

Sidera--I've mentioned you in the blog before, but BUT but I don't know how to link inside a blog (you know, without typing out the address next to your name) so as soon as I can figure that out, I'd me MORE than happy to give you a shout out!

Monica H said...

Okay, if you want a Blog roll to put Sidera's blog (and mine :)on yours without posting blog addresses, here's what you do.

Go to 'Customize'
Go to 'Template'
Click on 'Add a Page Element'
Click on 'Link List'
Title- ex: Blogroll, Blogs I visit etc.
New URL- website/blog address
New Site Name- "Still Hopeful"
Click 'Save Changes'

You can move this page element by dragging it where you want it. Hope this helps :)

You can also do this with your email address, so it's not directly visible.